Why a cat does not eat?
Many pet owners face the following problem: their animals begin to refuse food. There are not so many reasons why cats do not eat. And here we will look at what every fluffy pet owner should know. Refusal to eat in cats, loss of appetite or its complete disappearance may be one of the first noticeable symptoms of many different diseases. However, do not despair and immediately run to the vet, the refusal of food is observed in healthy animals. It is important for us to find out what the reasons for this behavior of the cat are and in what cases it is worth worrying.
The reasons for the lack of appetite in healthy cats may be:
- Lack of appetite as a reaction to stress in the process of changing habitat, transporting an animal, due to a change of owner, hot climate, the emergence of new unfamiliar animals in the house. This is especially true for shy, emotional and sensitive cats. More sociable and sociable cats under stress, as usual, have no problems.
- For example, cats can (and very often do) refuse to eat if there is a flowing cat nearby, as well as during the rut. At this moment, all his thoughts are concentrated on things more important in evolutionary terms.
- If the general condition of the cat at the time of the refusal of the food offered by you does not change for the worse, then it is quite possible that someone has already fed the animal, especially for cats that have free range, in this case interest in feeding on mice and birds.
- Due to a heightened sense of smell, the reason why a cat does not eat anything may be a reaction to unfamiliar food or to its depravity. It can also happen when switching to a new type of feeding.
- 12 hours before and 12 hours after childbirth cats do not accept food.
What does the owner need to know about why the cat eats badly? You need to understand that this becomes a problem only if the animal is sick. Diseases for the most part, besides refusal to eat, have a number of symptoms, and you can calculate them by them. In general, if along with the refusal of food, the behavior of the animal has changed dramatically and the animal has become inactive and lethargic, then this is the first sign of the disease. If you notice that the cat took food in your mouth and does not eat - this is a sign of a disease of the teeth and gums.
In any case, do not feed the cat by force, and if the refusal of food lasts a long time, contact your veterinarian, as a specialist can give you more useful information and more accurately determine the causes of loss of appetite from your pet.