What to feed the hamster?
The hamster seems to be very cute and easy-to-live animals. The food is not whimsical, eats what they give, does not make noise and does not take up much space, but if you want your hamster to be healthy and have lived a long life, you better take care of his food. So, what to feed the hamster so that he was healthy.
What can not feed the hamster
- Hamsters can not be sweet, fatty, salty and spicy, so you should not feed him the remnants of their food.
- Do not feed him bread and pastries, honey, mushrooms, chocolate, fatty cheese, ice cream, fatty meat, cabbage, potatoes, onions, peppers and garlic and carefully choose fruits.
Main diet, vitamin supplements and treats
What can you feed hamsters every day, and what only occasionally treat:
- Grain mixtures - they are sold in pet stores and are designed either for any rodents or just for hamsters. They consist of cereals (wheat, oats), nuts (peanuts), peas or beans, millet groats, sunflower seeds, and may contain treats specifically for the hamster such as dried berries. This is the basis of the hamster's food, the mixture should be a constant daily product, all the rest can be added occasionally.The amount of mix per day depends on the size of your hamster, the breed and the number of additional products. In addition to the main volume, leave the hamster some more food in reserve so that he can eat at any time when he gets hungry.
- Water - it must be clean and fresh. Hamster is not suitable mineral water, as it contains extra mineral salts for it, raw water from the tap is also not suitable. Best of all is boiled filtered water. Change it more often, especially if your hamster is not neat and throws a bowl of water with food and sawdust. An automatic drinker is best suited to avoid pollution. You can not restrict the hamster access to water, especially you can not deprive him of water, replacing it with fruit, considering that the juice will be enough.
- Fruits, vegetables, berries - many of them are forbidden to hamsters, such as citrus and exotic fruits, potatoes, cabbage, and some can accumulate harmful substances, such as watermelons, therefore hamsters are not recommended for juicy fruits and vegetables, but you can offer him those that you collected themselves outside the city and are confident in their purity. Wash thoroughly and remove all bones.You can give him dehydrated berries and fruit chips as a treat. Vegetables are well suited for pumpkin and carrots, adult hamsters can be apples.
- Greens and herbs - lettuce, parsley, dill, celery and dandelion should be given to the hamster in small quantities, naturally washed and those that did not grow near the road or in the city, but in an ecologically clean place, even if it is a pot in your window. But the houseplants hamster in no case be allowed to nibble, they can be poisonous.
- Seeds and nuts are not fried, except for almonds, as it contains prussic acid and, like fruit bones, can cause severe poisoning. These products are a delicacy and should be given rarely and gradually.
- Once a week, you can feed the hamster with low-fat dairy products, but in very small quantities. And also a small amount of products that contain animal protein - a piece of boiled egg, or boiled chicken meat.
So, for example, how to feed a Jungar hamster: one teaspoon of cereal mixture per day, fresh water, dried strawberry, once a week, protein and greens on another day.What to feed the Syrian hamster: two or three teaspoons of cereal mixture, fresh water, a piece of apple. Differences only in the amount of food, the rest of the treats and supplements alternate at their discretion, so that they do not overlap in one day - milk on Monday, greens on Wednesday, and eggs on Friday.