What is tasty cooked prunes?
Prunes are known to all and very long. And what can you cook out of it?
What it is?
In fact, prunes are dried plum fruits. But not every sort of plum is suitable for drying, most often for these purposes is used Hungarian Italian. Other varieties will do as well, but remember that the flesh must be rather dense, fleshy and sweet, otherwise after drying only one skin can remain, which, moreover, will be sour.
In general, the plum is dried in natural conditions, and in this case prunes are obtained especially tasty and sweet. But sometimes they use furnaces or special dryers, this is also quite acceptable. But unscrupulous producers of plums are "flavored" with enzymes and additives.
The composition of prunes includes the mass of nutrients. Here are just a few of them: pectins, organic acids, fiber, proteins, starch, carbohydrates, fluorides, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, sodium, and also vitamins E, K, A, C, B3, B6, B5, B9, B2 and B1.The caloric value of 100 grams of the product is about 230-250 calories (it depends on the variety of plums and the sugar content in it).
We list the useful properties of prunes:
- It is an excellent source of energy. Having eaten all a handful of prunes, you will forget about hunger and get a charge of vivacity.
- Such dried fruits are very useful for anemia, because they contain iron.
- Part of the potassium strengthens the heart muscle and normalizes the cardiovascular system.
- Magnesium is necessary for the normal functioning of the nervous system, so that by regularly using prunes, you will get rid of depression, apathy, anxiety and other similar problems.
- Fiber helps to normalize digestion (knowingly, such dried fruits are recommended for people suffering from constipation).
- Vitamin C, which is also part of, firstly, strengthens the immune system and protects against frequent colds, and secondly, strengthens and tones the vascular walls, preventing the development of atherosclerosis.
- Protein is the building material for all cells and tissues of our body. And especially it is necessary for muscles.
- Prune normalizes water-soy balance and removes excess fluid.
- B vitamins strengthen our nerves and normalize metabolism.
- The composition contains antioxidants that protect the body's tissues from the negative effects of free radicals and prevent the development of cancer.
- These dried fruits are beneficial for beriberi.
- Zinc has an anti-inflammatory effect, so it’s good to use prunes for some inflammatory diseases.
You should not get involved in prunes diabetics, it is quite a lot of sugar. Also not worth the risk in the presence of kidney stones. With some diseases of the intestine, too, it is worth taking care.
How to make a choice?
How to choose prunes? Pay attention to the following points:
- High-quality and properly dried fruits usually have a black color with a slight sheen. But the brown tint will be a signal of improper processing, namely scalding with boiling water to increase the shelf life. A strong shine will tell you that the surface of the dried fruit has been treated with glycerin.
- It is best to buy prunes with a stone. First, there will be much less bacteria in it (after all, not the fact that the bones were removed with clean hands in gloves), and secondly, the useful properties will be more numerous.
- Soak the fruit in the water for half an hour.Quality places will be covered with white bloom, poor quality tint will not change.
- Prunes should smell like plum, but not mold or stale.
- Fruits should not be too hard, rather elastic and fleshy.
- Prunes should not be very sticky and all the more slippery.
- There should be no cracks or stains on the surface.
What to cook?
What to cook from prunes? This dried fruit can be called universal, because from it you can cook almost anything: desserts, side dishes, meat dishes, pastries and even sauces.
We offer you a few recipes.
The recipe is the first
Incredibly delicious stewed prunes in sour cream with nuts. To prepare this dish you will need:
- 500 grams of prunes;
- 500 ml sour cream (medium fat);
- 100 grams of walnuts;
- 50 grams of sugar;
- 1 glass of water.
- First, wash the prunes and pour boiling water over it for about 15-30 minutes (the exact time will depend on the hardness of the dried fruit). Now drain the boiling water, cool the prunes and, making cuts (only on one side, it is not necessary to divide the fruit into halves), remove the bones.
- In place of the bones, place the nuts.It would be better if they are whole, or rather divided into halves, but not crumbled into small pieces.
- Now take a cauldron or pot with a thick bottom. Grease the bottom with butter.
- Mix sour cream with water and sugar, mix until smooth.
- Pour a little sour cream sauce on the bottom of the pan (so the dried fruits will not burn) and begin to lay prunes in even layers.
- Pour the rest of the sour cream. But it will be better to water with sauce each layer of dried fruit.
- Cover the pan with a lid and send to the oven, heated to 170-180 degrees, for about 30 or 40 minutes.
Appetizing and tasty chicken, baked with prunes in the oven. Here's what you need to prepare:
- 1 kilogram of chicken legs (you can take a whole carcass);
- 300 grams of prunes;
- 1 lemon;
- salt, pepper and a variety of spices (you can use your favorite or specially designed for cooking chicken);
- 3-4 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- First you need to marinate the chicken. If you decide to use the whole carcass, then cut it into pieces. Wash the meat well and dry (with paper towels).
- Now, squeeze the juice from the lemon into a bowl, add 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil (leave a little to lubricate the baking tray), pepper, salt and seasonings. Mix everything.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and leave for a few hours.
- Drain the prunes with boiling water, and when it softens, remove, cool and remove the bones from it.
- Place the marinated chicken on the bottom of the pan (grease it with butter) and place the prunes between the pieces.
- Strain the baking tray in the oven and cook for about 40-50 minutes at a temperature of 170-180 degrees.
Juicy beef is obtained with prunes. The following ingredients will be required
- 700-800 grams of beef;
- 2 onions;
- 200 grams of prunes;
- 1 carrot;
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil;
- 5 tablespoons of tomato paste;
- 5 bunches of dill verdure;
- salt and pepper to taste.
- First, prepare the vegetables. Peel the onions and carrots. Finely chop the onion, grate the carrot. Fry everything together in vegetable oil, add tomato paste and stew for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse beef and cut into small pieces, fry too.
- Prune for half an hour, pour boiling water over it. If there are bones, remove them.
- Put all the ingredients in the cauldron, cover it with a lid and put on fire for 40 minutes.
- Add pepper, salt and greens, stew for 10-20 minutes.
- Done! Serve with potatoes or rice.
Make a delicious salad with prunes, beets and walnuts. You will need:
- 2 fairly large beets;
- 100-150 grams of walnuts;
- 200 grams of prunes;
- salt to taste;
- sour cream or mayonnaise for refueling.
- Beets need to boil and peel, then grate on a large or medium grater.
- Prune with boiling water, cool and cut into small pieces.
- Grind walnuts a little (but not much, their taste should be felt in the salad).
- Mix all the ingredients, add salt, season the salad and mix well.
Be sure to include prunes in your menu, from which you get very tasty dishes!