What is the format?
The word "format" has several meanings and is widely used in various contexts. Let's take a closer look at what a format is, select the types of formats and give examples.
What is format: definitions
- View of the structure of the information object. Examples: document format, audio format.
- The size of the sheet, books, maps. Example: card format.
- Option to build and conduct any event. Example: holiday format.
Types of formats
As examples, we highlight the following:
- The format of a work of art is the organization, the construction of a work in accordance with the style and genre to which the work relates.
- Broadcast format refers to television and radio, it is a type of presentation of information in these media. These types, for example, can be divided into different genres: music, sports, news, etc.
- The quality of the film that will be presented to the viewer ultimately depends on the format used in cinema. The format in this sense depends on the equipment used and on various characteristics of the film: frame size and film width.
Format in computer science
Informatics uses the file format. This is a characteristic of the data structure in the file. There are such formats:
- Graphic formats - formats for storing graphic files (photos, pictures, pictures): JPEG, TIFF, PNG, etc.
- Text formats - formats for storing text documents: TXT, PDF, DJVu, etc.
- Video Formats - video file formats (FLV, MPEG, MOV, etc.); screen aspect ratio.
- Digital audio formats - formats that are used to store sound files: mp3, WAV, FLAC, etc.
- Open formats are generally accessible formats for storing digital files.