What is calligraphy?
Probably, many are familiar with the expression “calligraphic handwriting”, suggesting that a person knows how to write beautifully. The term is literally translated as “beautiful letter”, but has a circulation and translation as “the art of writing beautifully”. It is “art” that is fundamental in the formulation, because the process is characterized by a certain elitism and creative direction, even when used for specific purposes.
Chinese calligraphy, as a traditional art form, is equated with poetry and painting, is regarded as a form of meditation, and in Islamic states it is practically the only expressive means elevated to the rank of art. Modernity treats calligraphy as a branch of creativity, with the ability to draw signs harmoniously, skillfully and expressively, through drawing.
The history of calligraphy has deep roots and is inextricably linked with writing. The beginning of the letter was put by the simplest symbolic drawings, then there were cuneiform and hieroglyphs, which gradually transformed into a graphic representation of oral speech - the alphabet.
- Chinese is the most widely heard, it is very ancient, and has always been considered an art, which is not surprising, just look at the amazing letters in the technique of execution, each of which can be equated to a work of art. Exquisite writing is the pride of the nation and attraction, which is devoted to many hours of training. It is intertwined cultural heritage, artistic taste with the worldview of the Chinese.
- European is based on the Greco-Roman letter, which appeared in the ancient period. The impetus for the development of art was the introduction of Christianity, which required a census of biblical writings and other religious treatises, often in large volumes. The peak of development was reached in the seventh-ninth centuries with the creation of real works of calligraphy, including the Gospel. These were illuminated manuscripts, with decorations in the form of colored miniatures and ornaments. By the beginning of the twelfth century, the Greek-Roman letter was supplemented with Gothic and charter.
- The original Japanese experience in calligraphy was due to the Chinese, which took place in the seventh century. At the same time, their own styles were created, with simplified writing and a more emotional meaning.Japanese symbolism is distinguished by a set of whole concepts with deep meaning, and attitude to the process as to the method of meditation, by means of a brush and an ink. Even varieties of beautiful writing have been invented to write playbills and applets.
- Arab originated in the process of copying the holy Quran to any Muslim. The beauty of each ideally drawn word was emphasized by sacral meaning. Arabic calligraphic art is based on the “magnificent six”, represented by the six main handwritings. Each of them has its own scope. For example, for writing documents, for use in everyday life, for religious purposes, and so on. In addition, the stylist was dependent on many related factors, such as place, time, master, ink color.
- The Indian appeared as a sword under the first emperor, but with the real art of writing words with the help of ink and brushes, Indians met thanks to Muslims in the fifteenth to sixteenth centuries. Initially, borrowing took place, and then there appeared their own styles used for painting paper, coins, fabrics and stones.
The beauty of writing and modernity
Calligraphers, who knew the art of completely displaying letters, hundreds of years ago handed down to the heirs the tools of their skill in the form of ink with brushes and paper, equal in value to gold. Their modern followers, in addition to paper carriers, paint metal, fabrics and wood, intricate symbols imitate dancers, artists and masters of martial arts, teenagers paint graffiti walls using calligraphy techniques.
For example, the Arab master Nja Mahdaoui - the only one in the world, is entrusted with painting the symbols of airplanes, palace buildings, stained glass windows, and carpets. Russian Yuri Koverdyaev paints portraits lines, consisting of many tiny letters, traced with calligraphic skill and inspiration. All of them give new life to ancient art.
The older generation habitually regards beautiful handwriting as a business card of a person and a unique property, which is hard to disagree with. There are professions for which calligraphic handwriting is obligatory, but they disappear, being replaced by the use of fashionable computer technology that allows you to quickly create a catchy little letter.
But before that, the best calligraphers worked in state structures, filling in important documents. Now they are also available, but mainly their activity is reduced to writing invitation cards, congratulations for special dates and events, such as birthday or wedding, graphic design and religious art.
However, the value of a beautiful letter is not forgotten, because there are those who want to master it, large companies, highlighting the name with handwritten logos for better visualization, other admirers of ancient art.
Benefit or pleasure?
What is great about the ability to write beautifully, and is it necessary for people of non-creative professions? What are the benefits of calligraphy?
- First of all, this is a good handwriting, which nullifies the teachers' claims to the readability of the student’s “opuses,” and the absence of a headache for parents. In life, the ability to write an accessible text for reading is very useful and even makes it attractive to its owner.
- This is also a great brain training. After all, when writing text with a pen, we reflect on each movement in order to get a decent result. Ballpoint pen does not give a similar effect.Scientists highly appreciated the healing ability of calligraphy.
- This process trains assiduity and promotes the development of figurative thinking, which is very important for children. Displaying ornate symbols, similar to mysterious animals and flowers, is such an unusual and interesting occupation.
- Well, and finally, the ability to master calligraphy, without which the art of beautiful writing is impossible.
Many people with calligraphy refer to it as an effective way to improve mood and relieve stress.
How to master?
A calligrapher, like a musician, must have patience and actively train, for which there are calligraphic scales. Available with samples, how to learn a beautiful letter, set out in the manual Art of Calligraphy. Many people resort to a useful, efficient and affordable way - copying, helping to master the skills and subsequently develop their own style.
Training is impossible without tools, but good, unfortunately, quite expensive and difficult to access. What a novice calligrapher should have:
Two types of feathers - wide and peaked:
- the first can be equipped with a tus-holder or not, separate for left-handers with a bevel cut in the opposite direction, and in the form of Japanese wide-end automatic handles of different sizes;
- the latter are applied in the style of writing "with pressure";
Special chic has the use of expensive vintage feathers, but they tend to break quickly and are difficult to acquire.
- Professionals of a beautiful letter tend to use a brush-assistant to fill the pen, for the purpose of dosing the carcass and to avoid blotting with stains during work.
Holders are straight and oblique. Oblique for pointed feathers, for the ease of the desired slope of fifty-five degrees. With their help, negligence can be eliminated - a ragged right edge in the line of writing, which some consider to be a special ball.
Brushes, similar to feathers, but more plastic and soft. They are round (spiky) and flat (wide). The best brushes are natural, made in China.
Special tools for expressive writing with cool and unpredictable effects.
The correct paper is not very thin or loose, so that the feather slips and the ink does not spread.
Mascara "Gamma" for beginners is a good budget option.
Calligraphy is an amazing art that should not be forgotten. Therefore, in large cities there are masters who teach him newbies who are striving to comprehend the secrets of the beautiful writing of letters.