Urticaria: treatment, drugs, how to quickly recover
Urticaria is a classic allergic reaction of the immediate type and occurs almost immediately after contact with the allergen. The number of rashes depends on the characteristics of the organism, the amount and aggressiveness of the allergen. In some cases, there is only redness on certain parts of the body, in others - bubbles appear instantly, merge in the cavity. Such forms of urticaria require hospitalization.
Is it necessary to treat urticaria
If you know for sure that you are not allergic, and the number of lesions is small, the general condition is not worsened, urticaria does not require treatment. You can use ointments and gels to reduce itching and relieve swelling. In people without an allergic history, urticaria is most often provoked by cleaning agents, contact with plants, etc. In cases where the symptoms of urticaria are more pronounced, medical assistance is needed.
Other symptoms of urticaria
In addition to redness and blisters on the skin, urticaria can be accompanied by the following manifestations:
- joint pain;
- bronchospasm (hoarseness, difficulty breathing, wheezing);
- diarrhea (as the body removes the allergen from the digestive tract);
- rhinitis accompanied by uncontrolled sneezing;
- "Barking" cough;
- rise in body temperature.
Preparations for the treatment of urticaria:
1. For external use (non-hormonal, they can be used without a doctor's prescription):
- "Fenistil-gel" (allowed for children under one year old, for pregnant women, contains an antihistamine, acting only locally);
- "Psilo-Balsam" (allowed for children from 6 years of age, prohibited for pregnant women, contains an antihistamine that is absorbed into the blood and has a systemic effect);
- "Nezulin" (cream based on plant extracts, eliminates the symptoms of urticaria, is allowed to all, except for people with intolerance to individual components).
2. Preparations for internal use:
- "Zyrtec", "Kestin", "Tavegil" (second-generation drugs may cause drowsiness);
- "Telfast", "Cetrin", "Histolong" (third-generation drugs do not cause drowsiness).
3Enterosorbents (remove allergen from the gastrointestinal tract, binding toxins and preventing absorption):
- "Activated carbon";
If the urticaria is lightning in nature, rashes appear more and more, they merge into single bubbles, it is necessary to give any antihistamine medication available in the home medicine cabinet (including dosage) and call an ambulance. This condition is threatening, such urticaria is often complicated by Quincke edema. Steroid drugs quickly relieve manifestations of urticaria, but are prescribed only by a doctor in a visa ointment or pill
Treatment of urticaria after relief of an attack
External manifestations pass almost immediately after a single dose of the drug. If you are sure that you do not have a pronounced allergy, you should hold the following events:
- treatment of foci of chronic infection (caries, other chronic diseases, as they often provoke allergies);
- normalization of nutrition;
- use only safe cleaning products and detergents;
- refusal of synthetic clothing (for sensitive skin, hard and synthetic clothing can cause local allergies);
- exclusion of parasitic diseases.
Do I need to go to an allergist
Recommended advisory intake of an allergist or allergist-immunologist. After collecting anamnesis, you may be assigned additional laboratory tests - general and advanced blood tests, parasite tests. Allergy tests are carried out only if they are really necessary, as there are a lot of allergen groups.
After the diagnosis, specific treatment is prescribed that acts directly on the cause of the allergy, since antihistamines only relieve symptoms, but do not cure allergies.