Are Turkey Eggs Healthy or Dangerous?
Chicken eggs have become an integral part of the diet of most people. Less popular quail, ostrich are considered exotic. And what about turkey eggs? Is it possible to eat them, are they useful?
What are these eggs?
Turkey eggs are not considered the most popular, but nutritionists say that they are even more useful than the usual chicken, because they contain more nutrients.
What do these eggs look like? The weight of one is about 70 or 75 grams (a chicken egg weighs about the same or slightly less, so the size is about the same). The shade is creamy or beige, the entire surface of the shell is covered with dark speckles, which makes it appear motley or pockmarked. Appearance and size depend on the age of the turkey that laid the egg: the older it is, the larger and darker it will be. In young birds, eggs are usually small and light.
Turkey eggs contain a lot of nutrients, such as protein, vitamins of PP, A, E, D and B group, selenium, zinc, copper, calcium, phosphorus, iron, potassium, sodium, manganese, magnesium and many others.Calorie is about 170 calories per 100 grams.
Useful properties of such a product:
- With regular but moderate consumption of turkey eggs, you can normalize the metabolism.
- This product has a positive effect on the functioning of the nervous system and helps to avoid the effects of stress.
- It is an excellent source of highly digestible protein, which not only strengthens muscle tissue, but is also used as a building block for the formation of new healthy cells.
- These eggs can be used in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, as they do not irritate the mucous membranes and do not increase the secretion of digestive juice.
- Phosphorus, which is contained in such a product, is very useful for the brain and helps to improve its activity.
- Turkey eggs are also good for immunity, so they should be consumed during the cold season.
- Vitamin E is a natural antioxidant that neutralizes the dangerous activity of free radicals and thereby minimizes the risks of developing cancer and slows down the premature aging of tissues.
- Turkey eggs are very good for bones,because they contain strengthening calcium and vitamin D that promotes its proper absorption.
- Zinc, which is part of the product in question, is also very important. This element, firstly, has anti-inflammatory properties, secondly, it has a beneficial effect on men's health and increases sperm motility.
Can it harm?
It is worth remembering that turkey eggs contain cholesterol, and its content is higher than in chicken eggs. And although many nutritionists consider it “good”, that is, useful and necessary for the body, the product should be consumed in moderation and infrequently: two eggs twice a week. Another possible threat is an allergy, but turkey eggs are not the most allergenic (like turkey meat), unlike the more common chicken eggs.
Where to buy?
It is extremely difficult to find turkey eggs in regular stores and in the markets, as this bird is raised and raised mainly for meat. But if you go to a specialized chicken farm, then there you will certainly be able to offer such a product. It is worth remembering that turkeys are carried not all year, but in certain periods, namely at the end of winter and early spring (February and March), in the first half of summer (June and July), and also at the end of August.Therefore, to go for the eggs should be at this time, then they will be fresh.
Tip: It is best to buy turkey eggs in summer, at this time turkeys eat natural fresh grass, which contains many nutrients.
How to store?
Turkey eggs, as well as chicken eggs, are stored in the refrigerator for about one to three weeks. But it is worth remembering that the shell, although quite dense and durable, has a porous structure through which various odors can penetrate, as well as bacteria.
And therefore, first, after buying, wash the eggs. Secondly, place them separately from other products, especially “odorous”, such as onions, herring, garlic, citrus fruits, meat dishes, and so on. For example, you can remove eggs in a plastic bag or vacuum package. Also try storing them in saline (a couple of tablespoons in a glass of water) or smearing with a mixture of any natural vegetable oil and paraffin.
How to use?
Turkey eggs are widely used in cooking, but not all countries, and some consider them exotic or even inedible.And what to cook from such a product? These eggs, like chicken, it is possible to cook and fry. In addition, these eggs make excellent omelets, all kinds of fried eggs. Also you can add them to any dish, including baking, salads, desserts and so on.
Raw turkey eggs can also be used for cosmetic purposes: they can be part of various home grooming masks for hair or skin.
Tip: turkey eggs can be eaten raw, but only if you are confident in their quality, since pathogenic microorganisms can multiply in them.
If you have never eaten turkey eggs, then do not be afraid. Be sure to get them and try, they are no worse than the usual chicken.