How to Detox
Detoxification, or detox, is the process of removing toxic substances from the body. Diets that claim to achieve a full detox in a matter of days have been around for decades, and several methods exist. While not scientifically proven toremoveany toxins from the human body, many people claim feeling more focused and energetic during and after detox diets, most likely because of avoiding processed foods.
Note: This article does not contain information on how to detoxify someone undergoing treatment for alcoholism or substance abuse.Detoxing from alcohol or other hard substances, particularly benzodiazepines, should always be conducted under the supervision of a medical professional.
Do a fruit detox.Fruit detoxes are a great way to fast without starving yourself. Getting enough fruit can increase your energy levels, help manage your weight, and even reduce the likelihood of stroke.You can either detox by eating a variety of different fruits, or by only eating one kind of fruit. For best results, choose a fruit that you enjoy eating so that you don't feel like you're suffering. Do not exceed 7 days in a row of a fruit-only diet.
- Eat citrus fruits. Oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, lemons, and limes have the highest detoxifying effects.You can eat them on their own or combine them with other fruits. Again, do not exceed 7 days in a row of a fruit-only diet.
- Try a grape detox. Grapes contain resveratrol, which can protect against cancer and diabetes, and potentially prevent blood clots.They are also a great source of potassium and vitamin C. Eat nothing but grapes (whichever kind you like) for 3-5 days.
Do a liquid fast.Consume nothing but liquids (water, tea, fruit juice, vegetable juice, and/or protein shakes) for 2-3 days.Liquid diets can help jump-start weight loss by restricting caloric intake, and are believed to cleanse your body of certain toxins, though there is no solid research to back up this claim.
- Be sure to include fruit and/or vegetable juices in your liquid fast to ensure that your body is getting the proper nourishment.
- If your goal is to lose weight, then you will have to change your eating habits once the liquid fast is over, or you will simply gain all the weight back.
Eat only fruits and vegetables for 7 days.Fruits and vegetables contain the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients your body needs to stay healthy. Be sure to eat a diverse combination of produce to ensure that you are getting the proper nutrients. Use the following guide to determine what to eat during your fast:
- Getfiberfrom kidney beans, black beans, apples, soybeans, blueberries, and artichokes.
- Getpotassiumfrom carrots, bananas, lima beans, white potatoes, cooked greens, and sweet potatoes.
- Getvitamin Cfrom kiwis, strawberries, kale, cauliflower, tomatoes, oranges, Brussels sprouts, mangoes, and bell peppers.
- Getfolatefrom cooked spinach, melons, asparagus, oranges, and black-eyed peas.
- Getgood fatsfrom avocado, olives, and coconut.
Long-Term Detox Practices
Eat organically-grown produce and meat.Conventional produce is grown with chemical fertilizers and synthetic insecticides, while organic produce is grown with natural fertilizers and pesticides.Organic meats have far fewer harmful antibiotics, growth hormones, and medications that are fed to animals on conventional farms.
- Check labels to determine whether or not a food is organic. Organic foods should have a green USDA Certified Organic Seal.
Drink enough water.Getting enough water is essential to your health. Among its other health benefits, water helps maintain your body's fluid levels, which helps your kidneys flush out the body's main toxin, blood urea nitrogen.
- Drink lemon water. Add lemon, orange, or lime juice to your water throughout the day. These fruits contain citric acid, which helps your body cut down fat.Plus, adding flavor to your water can make it a lot easier to get those 8 daily cups in! Brush your teeth in between meals to prevent acid erosion from the citrus.
Cut out alcohol.Research has suggested that alcohol may be linked with the onset of certain types of cancer, including breast cancer in women. Though you don't have to cut it out entirely, stick to one glass of wine or beer a night, at most.
Avoid added sugars.Consuming excess sugar on a regular basis can cause your blood sugar levels to spike, putting you at greater risk for heart disease, diabetes, and certain cancers in the long run.Read all nutrition labels and beware of added sugars in bread, salad dressings, and sauces.
Limit your exposure to harmful toxins in the air.These include carbon monoxide, radon, and asbestos, all of which may be found in homes.
- Carbon monoxide is a potentially fatal odorless chemical that is produced from furnaces, grills, and car engines.Side-effects include headaches, dizziness, and lethargy.Consider getting a carbon monoxide detector in your home, and keep your home properly ventilated.
- Homes and buildings should be properly tested for asbestos and radon.
Meditate.Many religions and philosophies advocate fasting as a way of refocusing the mind and developing a sense of peace. While you're detoxifying your body, try to rid yourself of grudges, anger, sadness, and other negative feelings. Use the time you would usually spend eating or preparing food to think about your goals and aspirations. Distill your thoughts in a journal.
Don't overdo it:Above all, find a balanced, achievable program that combines daily exercise and changes to a healthy diet, with regular, qualified supervision. Remember you are trying to set the stage for healthy habits - not further stress your body with rapid, extreme and unsustainable change. Try to avoid binging as you come off of detoxing.
QuestionWill I lose weight from detoxing?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, potentially as much as 3-5 pounds.Thanks!
QuestionIs it normal to feel sick when detoxing?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, you may feel sick especially if you are doing a juicing detox cleanse.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I stop eating so much sugar?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerStart with transitioning from refined added sugar to sugar in forms of fructose, lactose and starch. When craving sugar, eat fruit, starchy vegetables or grains or drink milk instead. Then, try to eat less starch/fructose/glucose every week.Thanks!
QuestionI am drinking 1.5 litres of warm lemon water every morning for detoxing, does this have any side effects?Top AnswererIt is good that you're hydrating. But rinse and brush your teeth well to make sure the acid doesn't wear out your enamel.Thanks!
QuestionDoes drinking four glasses of water in the morning before eating anything help in any kind of way?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerDrinking water can help you eat less and make you less likely to eat on impulse. But, don't drink water to the point that you are uncomfortable. Too much water can be hazardous.Thanks!
QuestionWill detoxing help to shrink my stomach?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt can, but only if you don't eat enough. You should not want to shrink your stomach. A detox will hopefully increase your metabolism, which can lead to healthier weightloss.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I raise my metabolism?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerEat 5-6 small, meals/snacks each day instead of larger meals. Make sure your diet is high in fiber.Thanks!
QuestionHow often should I detox?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou should do a detox between 1 week and 1 month. You will be able to feel the benefits by then. Once you feel in better shape and health, you should stop the detox.Thanks!
QuestionI have a rare muscle disease that I would sure like to reverse. Should I detox with fruit only even if I don't get a balance of nutrients?Top AnswererEating only fruit is not a good way to detox, because you can ingest a lot of sugar without getting nutrients found in other foods. Eat vegetables, legumes, and seafood too.Thanks!
QuestionCan we eat the fruits after drinking the infused water?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes. It doesn't have the same nutrition value because you drank the infused water, but it's still good for you.Thanks!
How do I stop body bad odor using fruits?
How can I shrink my stomach through detoxing?
Is lemon water and baking soda a good detox?
Can I safely detox if I have epilepsy?
Can I take activated charcoal for detox without doctors advice?
- Detox with a friend. You can support each other through rough patches and applaud successes, as well as sharing recipes and tips.
- Eat slowly. During a detox, you can stretch out your meals by chewing thoroughly and without hurry. Slow eating also aids digestion.
- Try to find time for light exercise. Yoga, Pilates, swimming or brisk walking is ideal. Don't attempt strenuous activities such as running or weight training while fasting.
- Treat yourself to a massage. Book time with a professional, or use an exfoliating mitt to work on your own skin.
- Cease your usage of a microwave oven, if you have one. If you wish to heat your food, place it in a pan that uses a lid, pour a bit of water into that pan and turn on the stove-top.
- Get some rest. You might find that detoxing makes you feel more energetic, or that it increases your lethargy. Either way, it's important to get sufficient sleep while you're fasting. Make sure you clock at least 8 hours a night, with afternoon naps added if necessary.
- Even if you feel great on your fast, don't continue detoxing for more than 10 to 14 days at most. Long-term fasting or starvation can do irreversible damage to your metabolism.
- Don't just follow any detox diet you find online. Many of these are unsafe under any circumstances. Always run your plan past your general practitioner or a licensed nutritionist.
- Don't fast to the point of passing out. If you faint or feel strongly that you will, your diet has gone too far. Immediately eat a piece of bread or a biscuit to improve your blood sugar, and try to consume an electrolyte-rich sports drink. Lie or sit down, and put your head between your knees if possible. Do not resume the diet.
- Don't do a liquid fast for more than 3 days in a row.
- Some detoxes may cause lethargy in the first day or two, so give yourself time to relax and avoid strenuous activity.
- Most medical professionals believe that the liver and kidneys provide adequate detoxification without special diets. Be aware that you might not notice a large difference in your health.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Deutsch: , Nederlands: , Português: , Italiano: , Français: , Русский: , 中文: , Čeština: , 日本語: , Bahasa Indonesia: , हिन्दी: , العربية: , ไทย: , 한국어: , Tiếng Việt:
Video: Herbs & Alternative Medicine : Natural Ways to Detox Your Body With Lemon Water
10. Angelina Jolie: Emerald-Cut Diamonds
A Guide to Pick Up Lines Awesome Bios
How to Find Information on People
How to Quit Smoking
How to Tell Your Boyfriend Youre Pregnant
Kids and Swine Flu
Simple ideas to keep your body cool in this summer
Prenate Essential Reviews
How to Survive a Holiday Office Party
21 Ways to Burn Fat Faster and Lose Weight
This Is What Your Perfect Fatigue-Free Day Looks Like
Life Skills Every Magnificent Bastard Needs To Know
3 Ways to Cut a Magnet
What was Obama like as a boss We asked his old UN Ambassador Samantha Power
19 Successful Women Get Real About The Times They Failed