How to Cut a Bob
A bob is a simple hairstyle that is easy to cut and modify. This style is most often used on short, straight hair. But you can have a bob cut if you have long or curly hair. As a hairstyle, a bob cut is easy to style and maintain. If you are an ambitious home hair-cutter, you can cut your hair into a basic bob. You should gather the necessary supplies so you can cut the bob properly and then follow a few simple steps to get the bob look.
Gathering the Necessary Supplies
Get good cutting shears for hair.If you decide to cut your own hair at home, you should look for cutting shears that are made for hair and that are high quality. You can find good cutting shears online or at beauty supply stores. Using good quality shears will make it easier to cut your hair at home.
- You should look for cutting shears that have a stainless steel blade and a blade that is sharpened. Do not use kitchen shears, household scissors, or gardening shears as they could pull or damage your hair.
Buy hair clippers and a hair razor.You can find hair clippers online or at a beauty supply store. Get hair clippers that are electric and good quality, as you are going to be using this tool to cut the bob.
- A hair razor will also be useful for cutting the bob as it will allow you to shape and trim your hair without having to do any major cutting. Make sure the hair razor is sharp as a dull razor will make it more difficult to use.
Get a hair comb and hair ties.You will also need a hair comb and three hair ties. You can find these products online or in the beauty aisle of your local drugstore. The hair comb is going to help you create even sections of your hair for the cut. The hair ties will keep sections of hair out of the way as you cut.
Cutting the Bob
Confirm the style if someone else is cutting your hair.If you are getting a friend to cut your hair into a bob, you should discuss the steps for the cut beforehand. You should also confirm the length and style you want for your hair before your friend starts cutting away.
- During the cut, you should also communicate with your friend and confirm that they are doing what you want with your hair. You should let your friend know if the style is too long or if it needs to be tweaked so you end up with a bob you like.
Wash and dry your hair.You will need to start with hair that is clean and dry. Use your usual shampoo and conditioner on your hair. Then, allow it to air dry or blow dry it. Having hair that is dry will ensure you do not cut your hair too short, as wet hair can end up drying shorter than it looks.
- Before you dry your wet hair, you may want to use the hair comb to find your natural part. Finding your natural part is important if you plan to part your hair to one side, rather than do a middle part.
- You can find your natural part by running the comb over the front section of your hair so the hair falls to the back of your hair. Then, use your hand to gently push the hair forward. Your hair should fall toward your natural part.
- You can also determine your natural part by noting which side of your head you usually part your hair on. You can then keep this in mind when you are cutting your hair so your hair parts as you like it.
Divide your hair into three even sections.Use the comb to divide your hair into three even sections: one section at the back, and one section on either side of your head. Secure the three sections using hair ties.
- Make sure the back section sits just above the back of your neck. You will need to be able to gently slide the hair tie up and down your hair at the back so do not tie it too tightly.
Cut the back section off with scissors.You may need to use a hand mirror to see the back ponytail if you are cutting your hair yourself. Move the back ponytail up or down against your neck, based on the length you would like the bob to be. If you want a shorter bob, move the ponytail further up. For a longer bob, move the ponytail further down. Most bobs are on the shorter side so you may opt for a shorter cut in the back.
- Use the cutting shears to cut right underneath the back ponytail. You may need to cut across the top of the back ponytail slowly to ensure you get an even cut, especially if you have thicker hair.
- For a more blunt look, you can use the hair clippers to trim any uneven hairs underneath the back ponytail. If you are using the hair clippers on your own hair, take care to hold the clippers steady as you trim off any uneven hairs. Try to get an even cut all the way across the back ponytail so the back section will appear straight and even.
Use the hair razor on the side sections.Release the back ponytail once you are done trimming it. Then, release the side ponytails. You should have a blunt, even cut in the back section and longer side sections. You will then take the hair razor and shape the side sections until they are the length you would like for the bob.
- If you are going for a more A-line look, you may keep the side sections a bit longer than the back section. Lift up small sections of hair and run the hair razor through the bottom of the hair in an angled, upward motion. This will help to trim and shape the hair so it is at an even angle to the back section of your hair.
- For more of a straight bob look, use the hair razor to shape and trim the side sections so they are in line with the back section. Run the hair razor through the bottom part of your hair in an upward motion until it is trimmed to the length of the back section.
Add layers, if desired.If you would like to add volume to your bob, you may decide to add layers. This is ideal if you have thinner hair, as you may opt for layers so your hair has more body. If you have thicker hair, you may avoid layers so your hair does not appear too puffy or round.
- To add layers, use the hair comb to comb out a section of hair on the side of your head, towards the back of your head. Hold the section of hair so the ends are facing upward and use the cutting shears to trim the ends, pointing the scissors down and in as you trim. Do not cut the hair straight across, as this will lead to jagged ends.
- Continue to do this on the sides and back of your hair, cutting the ends of the hair with the scissors pointed down and in. This will create layers throughout your hair, giving your bob a more voluminous look.
Blend the ends of the hair.As a finishing touch, you should blend the ends of your hair so your bob looks even and polished. Blending the ends will also help to remove any stray pieces of hair that are too long.
- Lift up small pieces of hair and run the hair razor on the ends of the hair in a downward, angled motion. This will help to taper the ends and make them appear more blended. Do this around your entire head so the ends are blended.
QuestionIs there such thing as a long bob, and, if so, what is its length?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, there is such a thing as a long bob. It's often called a lob. There isn't a set measurement for a lob, but it typically falls between the jawline and just below the shoulders.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I do an angled bob cut?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFirst, cut a normal bob, but leave a short difference when cutting the side parts. Then, with the help of a protractor, measure 120 degrees. Then, cut diagonally. Add bangs if desired. You can look at Anna Wintour's bob for an example.Thanks!
QuestionCan I do a blunt cut on a previous haircut?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, you can. However, if you have shorter layers, try to cut it to the length of the longest layer. This will allow the shorter layers, and even bangs, to catch up in length. Otherwise, it may be too short and drastic a cut.Thanks!
QuestionWhat is the best style to wear while growing out hair from a very short style? Right now my sides are much shorter than the back. My hair is very thin and fine.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt depends on how short your hair is. If it is a pixie, bows or hats are good. If it is a chin bob, headbands and the two previous are good options. Anything longer should be open to all of these.Thanks!
QuestionIn Picture 3 there is a big difference in length between the back and the sides. Do I leave it like that or try to blend the two together?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe image is showing more of an A frame bob cut, which is longer in front than the back. It's your choice what you prefer for yourself.Thanks!
QuestionWhat happens if one side of my bob is shorter than the other?Community AnswerYou can either leave it (making an asymmetrical bob) or trim it up to the same length.Thanks!
What's the best cut for a round/square 63 year old face with very fine, severely thin hair?
To cut a bob, divide your hair into 3 even sections -- one in the back, and one on either side of your head, and put them into ponytail holders. Cut the back section off with your scissors, moving the hair tie securing this section up or down based on the length you want. Once you’re done trimming your hair, release the back section, then release the longer sides. Then, simply use a hair razor to shape the side sections until they are the length that you’d like the bob.
- Consider allowing a professional to create the style and then keep it trimmed yourself at home. There are many variations to the basic bob cut, and a professional can advise you about which works best with your face shape and hair type.
Things You'll Need
A hair razor
Sources and Citations
- Videos provided by
In other languages:
Español: , Italiano: , Português: , Русский: , Deutsch: , Français: , Tiếng Việt: , العربية: , Nederlands:
Video: How to cut an a line bob
Want to get into Korean-style skincare MaskAndTask with these new-gen masks
How to Use Godaddy Web Design Services
Relaxation Techniques for Depression
Want a bargain Buy the mongrel
How to Apply for Maternity Leave
How to Kill E. Coli in Your Body
How to Obtain Travelers Checks
Best airlines in Europe 2019 ranked: Pictures, details
Blood Test Might Spot High-Risk Breast Cancer Genes
How to Report Credit Card Fraud
How to Make a Green Smoothie
The Great Elf on the Shelf Debate
9 Hiking Boots That Wont Wreck Your Feet
This Plant Cuts Body Weight Up to 45 Percent