OSB: what is it?
Modern building materials have excellent characteristics. One of them is OSB - oriented strand board is a building material based on shredded wood. The surface of each of these plates is laminated. On the modern market are widely represented samples made in Russia and Europe.
Oriented strand board differs from conventional chipboard in its quality. Its edges are not stratified and do not crumble, and the twisted screw keeps very firmly. High reliability is ensured by a special way of laying wood chips. The long and thin elements are laid in three layers, while the chips of the middle layer are arranged perpendicular to the main direction.
In addition to the high strength characteristics of the oriented strand board, it boasts elasticity along the axis and high resistance to bending. Flat chips reliably preserve the properties of natural wood. To obtain a single monolith, special melamine glue is used, which reliably holds all layers together.
The approximate strand board can be used for the following purposes:
- Partition construction;
- Finishing facilities;
- Furniture manufacturing;
- Device of draft floors;
- Mounting of substrates under the floor covering;
- Laying the foundation for roofing.
When erecting concrete structures, an approximate strand board is used as a reusable formwork. Also with its help they make:
- All kinds of packaging;
- Temporary fencing;
OSB can be applied in other places where the use of natural wood is necessary. It will serve as an excellent substitute for metal and plastic.
Orientation Chip Classification
For external use is a building material with a thickness of up to 18 mm, which has moisture protection. Under the roof covering lay 16-mm slab. For covering the floor using a panel thickness of 9 mm. Manufacturers offer grooved options that are great even for large areas. The surface of the plates can not only be laminated, there are varnished and polished versions.Building material that does not have a factory coating can be painted independently.
Consider the classes of orientation-chipboard:
- OSP-2. It can be used exclusively for interior decoration. It is suitable only for those buildings where the humidity level is not elevated.
- GSP-3. Great for creating all kinds of rugged designs. It is successfully used for exterior cladding of buildings or rooms with a high level of humidity.
- OSP-4. This type of panels is characterized by special durability. It is used for the construction of reliable structures, including the bearing.
You are now familiar with the classification and properties of the strand board.