How to Tie a Hair Bow
Maybe you’re looking to add some prep to your back to school outfit or try out a new style for a wedding or special event. Whatever the reason, hair bows are a fun way to spruce up any outfit and create a unique look.
Choose your ribbon.You may want to look for a ribbon that matches your outfit or has an interesting texture like velvet or a raised pattern.
Cut the ribbon.To make a standard size bow, use about 12 inches of ribbon. If you’d like to make a smaller or larger bow, use less than 12 inches or a bit more than 12 inches of ribbon.
Hold section of your hair or all of your hair in your hand.You may want to tie your hair up or back with a hair tie to make sure your hair is secure.
- Feel free to also create two braids on either side of your head and add ribbons to the ends.
Slip the ribbon around your hair with one hand.If you used a hair tie, slip the ribbon around the hair tie so it is covered with the ribbon.
Grab either side of the ribbon and loop them so they form a knot.Pull both sides of the ribbon so there is a tight knot in the center of your hair, or in the center of the hair tie.
Tie a bow.Similar to how you would tie your shoe laces, create two loops and tie them together to form a bow.
Look in the mirror and adjust the bow accordingly.Check that the loops are the same size on either side of the bow and that it sits straight on your head.
- Apply hairspray or hair gel to get rid of any fly aways and ensure your hair looks sleek and tidy.
Keep the bow in place with KY Jelly or Karo syrup.Bows can be difficult to keep in place, especially if you're dealing with a fussy child who doesn't like anything on their head. Try placing a dab of KY Jelly or Karo syrup under the center tie of the bow to secure it.
- You can also try placing a dab of the jelly or the syrup in the middle of the knot before you tie the bow.
Using Your Hair
Make a bow bun.This is a fun spin on a typical messy bun or top knot.
- Start by gathering your hair into a high ponytail and looping your hair through an elastic band or hair tie, with the ends sticking out.
- Pull apart the bun to create two loops, which will be the two sides of the bow.
- Use the ends to wrap between the two loops. This will create the illusion of a bow knot in the center.
- Secure the bow bun with bobby pins and/or hair spray.
Make a small hair bow.This look involves leaving some of your hair down, creating a more relaxed style.
- Take one small section of hair from either side of your head. The bigger the sections are, the bigger the bow will be, so decide how large or small you’d like the bow to be on your head.
- Tie the two sections together with an elastic or hair tie to create a half ponytail. Don’t pull the ends through the elastic so there is a loop at the end of the tie.
- Split the loop in half to create two smaller loops. Clip one loop aside for now with bobby pins.
- Use your fingers to spread out the unclipped loop and push it flat against your head into a bow shape. Insert one bobby pin going from the top to the bottom and one going from the bottom to the top.
- Repeat this same process for the other loop.
- You should now have a bow shape.
- Pick up the remaining ends of the ponytail and wrap them up and around the hair tie to hide it. Secure the ends with bobby pins tucked underneath the bow.
Make small hair bows with no bobby pins.This look creates two pigtails with bows and, best of all, does not require any pinning. However, you will need to have a tool call a Topsy Tailon hand or create one using the end of a fly swatter.
- Part your hair into two equal sections on either side of your head. Secure each section with a hair tie so some hair covers your ears and the hair ties sit just below your jaw line.
- Separate one section of hair so there are two equal sections and a thicker middle section. Try to make the two side sections of hair as even as possible as these will be the loops for the bow.
- Clip off one of the side sections.
- Take the Topsy Tail tool or your DIY version of the tool and place the stick end into the outermost layer of the hair tie. Twist the tool so the loop part is closest to your face.
- Take one side section of hair and pull it through the loop part of the tool carefully. The section of hair should form a small loop. This is one half of the bow.
- Pull the Topsy Tail tool through your hair to remove it and push the hair tie up to secure the section of hair so it stays in a nice, clean loop.
- Repeat this process for the other side section of hair to create the other side of the bow. This time though, place the Topsy Tail tool so the loop side faces away from your face.
- To hide the hair tie, place the tool in the center of the hair tie, take a section of hair from the front and loop it through the loop end of the tool. Pull the tool down and remove it. You should have a nice center bow tie.
- Complete the same procedure on the other side of your hair so you have two pigtails with two bows. Fan out both bows to make them loop full. Use hair spray to keep the bows in place.
QuestionAre there any other easy ways?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUse a ribbon and put it behind your hair first, pull it in front and tie a bow (tie two knots to make sure it doesn't come loose).Thanks!
- Don't tie the bow too loosely as it could fall out.
- Try to keep all your hair together, as getting hair caught in the bow could be painful.
Things You’ll Need
Ribbon of choice
Hair ties (optional)
Using Your Hair
Topsy Tail tool or a DIY version
Sources and Citations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
In other languages:
Português: , Русский: , Español: , Italiano: , Deutsch: , Bahasa Indonesia:
Video: Make Simple Easy Bow, DIY, Ribbon Hair Bow, Tutorial, Bow #3
How to Live a Tastefully Frugal Life
The Best Ways To Burn Calories
Exclusive: Crystal Renn on Being a Hair Muse and Body Role Model
Forever Patio Rockport Loveseat with Cushions NC280-LS-CO
Jack Wills SpringSummer 2015 Campaign
Slow-Cooker Italian-Style Turkey Meat Loaf
5. Consider Your Jawline, No One Beard Suits All
10. Angelina Jolie: Emerald-Cut Diamonds
How to Buy Patent Rights
Common Items that Contain BPA