How to remove the rack?
Watch the video
The most important part of the car suspension are the racks. During operation, they are subject to wear and tear, which has a bad effect on road performance. If you neglect to replace this equipment, there can be huge problems - and this is not only unforeseen financial costs.
When driving on a rough road, there are extraneous noises in the front of the suspension. It is likely that this knocking out worn racks that need to be replaced as soon as possible.
When the selection of new parts is carried out, it is necessary to carefully inspect the products and select parts for a particular brand of car, as the quality may not correspond to reality, and the mounting does not fit.
- You should be aware that the work of replacing the racks is a painstaking exercise, but doable on your own. Here we need a tool called “spring tie”. Without it, performing this procedure will be almost impossible.
- The work of the suspension of the car depends on the shock absorbers, which directly interact with the racks.
- Replacement work performed is the same for both the front and rear pillars, but the shock absorbers have characteristic features regarding installation.
How to remove the rack: instructions
- Initially, we put the car on a jack so that the wheel hangs above the ground.
- To prevent the movement of the machine, securely fix it with the help of available tools. This can be a bar, brick, or any other object that can keep the car in a stationary state. Do not forget about the existence of the parking brake.
- Remove the wheel and unscrew the two mounting bolts of the rack, as well as the nut, which is fixed to the steering gear. We remove the steering tip with a special key. If there is none, then simply knock out the tip. In case of difficulties in the process of work, it is recommended to use VD-40.
- We take down the nut of the support, which is under the hood, on both sides and unscrew it with a 22-key head.
- Turn away fasteners rack. Under no circumstances do we dismantle the cup of the support completely, because the spring can “shoot”.
- To fix the spring set on both sides of the tie, strictly opposite each other.
Installation of new racks
- Making sure that the spring is well tightened, unscrew the nut 22, which holds the upper anchor point. To do this, use a wrench to squeeze the shock absorber rod located close to the support.
- Remove the support with a spring.
- In the same way, it is required to install the spring on the acquired stand and firmly fix the support.
- Install the rack on the seat and fasten all the necessary parts, including the steering knuckle and tie rod.
Features replacement car racks
- When the rear pillars are removed, it should be remembered that they need to be replaced by a pair, as in the case of replacing the rack on one side only, an imbalance in movement can be caused. Suspension will be under constant load.
- Front struts work independently of each other, so their installation can be done separately.
- Do not forget about elementary safety when replacing racks.
These works are relevant primarily for cars VAZ. Foreign-made cars are best sent for repair in service.