How to Open IDX Files
An IDX file is an index file extension commonly used in Windows to speed up the search process in a database, or to quickly retrieve and sort files in directories. IDX files are also commonly used in DVDs and movie files that contain subtitles. Most Windows and Mac computers will automatically open IDX files using the program the files originated from. However, if an IDX file won’t open on your computer, you can try opening the file using the VideoLAN VLC media player, which can open and support most types of IDX files.
Opening IDX Files
Double-click on the IDX file.The file will automatically open in Notepad on Windows, or in TextEdit on Mac OS X.
- If the IDX file fails to open, proceed to the next step.
Right-click on the IDX file, and select “Open With.”
- If using Mac OS X, select “Get Info,” then click on “Open With.”
Select any text editing program installed on your computer.WordPad, Notepad, and TextEdit are examples of text editing programs that can open IDX files.
- If the IDX file still does not open, proceed to the next step.
Right-click on the IDX file and select “Properties” or “Get Info.”
Review the file details to determine the origin of the IDX file.In some cases, you may be able to open the IDX file using the program that created the file. For example, if the IDX file originated from Microsoft Outlook Express, you can launch Outlook Express on your computer, and attempt to open the IDX file using Outlook Express.
Launch the program that created the IDX file, then attempt to open the IDX file using the program.
- If the IDX file fails to open, follow the steps outlined in method two of this article to open the file using VideoLAN’s VLC media player.
Using VideoLAN VLC Media Player
Navigate to VideoLAN’s official website at .
Select the option to download the VideoLAN VLC media player to your Windows or Mac computer.
Double-click on the installer file to launch the VideoLAN installation wizard, and follow the on-screen prompts to install the media player on your computer.The application will automatically launch when installation is complete.
Click on “Media” at the top of your VideoLAN session, and select “Open File.”The “open file” dialog box will display on-screen.
Click on “Browse,” then navigate to the IDX file you want opened.
Select the IDX file, then click on “Open.”The IDX file you selected will open and display within the VideoLAN media player.
My file is in a rare library format. I copied it on my desktop, but I couldn't open it with VLC. What should I do?
What program do I need if the cache file says I need a program to open?
What do I do if the files won't open with the methods in the article?
- In most cases, IDX files will fail to open on your computer if there are no programs installed that can identify with the file type. The most effective way to open an IDX file is to determine the origin of the file, and open the file using the program that generated the file.
- If you want to use an alternative third-party program to open IDX files, try using PowerDVD by Cyberlink at . The application is not free at this time, but does offer a free 30-day trial period, during which you can use the program to open IDX files.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Deutsch: , Español: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Русский: , Italiano: , Português: , Français:
Video: Convert .idx Subfile to .srt using subtitle edit
How to Help Teenagers Deal With Bullies
How to Groom a Ferret
Mini Drum Cakes
How to Get over the Fact Your Friend Left You for the Popular Crowd
Cellulitis Causes, Risk Factors, and Prevention
China Takes On Tesla With Le Supercar
How to Get a Social Media Job
Best Haircuts For Black Men 2019
Depression Common in Celiac Disease
Read more Apple coverage
Prisma Skeletal Backpack by Alexander Wang
31 Cute Boys Haircuts Cool and School Ready
You can die from a broken heart
Its Statistically Unrealistic to Have a Model Body: Heres Proof