How to Meditate With a Power Animal
Meditation is a great way to relax, decompress, and gain mental clarity. Some people believe that meditating with a power animal -- a creature with which they have a spiritual connection -- can enhance their meditative state. Before you can meditate with your power animal, you’ll need to discover if you have a power animal of your own. When you identify your power animal, proceed to meditate as you normally would, but focus intently on your power animal for a unique meditation experience.
Engaging in Meditation
Obtain a pen and paper.You should write down the results of your meditation experience. How did you feel before starting? What were you expecting? After your mediation ends, write down how your meditation experience went. Describe your thoughts and feelings. Did your power animal help you?
- Use your recorded meditation experiences to track your progress over time.
Choose your meditation method.Meditation is simply the process of reflecting on your situation, centering yourself, and becoming more aware of yourself and your surroundings. There are many varieties of meditation. For instance, you might:
- Try a walking meditation. In this meditation, you walk through a forest or other relaxing natural setting. Move slowly and deliberately through the forest. Pay close attention to each movement of your feet. Make yourself aware of how your foot feels in your shoe, the feeling of your heel rising from the earth, and the feel of your leg swinging forward with each step. This is not only a great meditation, but a relaxing form of exercise.
- Try a gratitude mediation. If you’re not interested in walking meditation, you could try a simple gratitude mediation. Simply envision the face of someone for whom you’re thankful, and say “Thank you for…” and then one or several reasons why you’re thankful for that person. You can say this either quietly to yourself or out loud. This is best performed at the end or beginning of each day.
- Try a mantra mediation. If neither a walking meditation or a gratitude meditation interest you, a mantra meditation might. As its name suggests, the mantra meditation utilizes a mantra -- either a single word like “Om” or a short, positive phrase like “I will achieve victory” -- to clear the mind and bring a sense of calm. Sit in a comfortable, quiet place. You can adopt a cross-legged position and sit on a mat or thin pillow if you wish. Speak, sing, or whisper the mantra aloud.
Choose when you want to meditate.When you incorporate mediation into your daily schedule, you should try to keep it around the same time each day. This will allow your body and mind to get used to the rhythms of meditation, and can help you slip more easily into a meditative state over time. If you have a spirit animal that is nocturnal like the aardvark, owl, or badger, you might find it beneficial to meditate at night.
Create an appropriate meditation environment.Your meditation environment can be a bedroom, living room, public park, or other space. Wherever you are, your meditation space must remain quiet and at a comfortable temperature. The area should be free of debris, clutter, and garbage.
State your intention.Before meditating, you must get into the right frame of mind. State aloud, “I am going to meet my power animal. Together, we will attain peace of mind. Together, we will become one.”
- Or, in the case of a gratitude meditation, you could say, “I am going to show gratitude. My power animal will help me. Together, we give thanks.”
- If you wish to devise your own statement of intention, ensure that it is honest, brief, direct, and positive. State simply what you wish to achieve by meditating with the power animal.
Repeat the statement of intention for several minutes.Unless you’re performing a moving or walking mediation, close your eyes. Speak each syllable slowly and deliberately. Relax into yourself. Open your mind by visualizing your power animal. Where are you? What are you and your power animal doing? Take in as many details as possible.
- After 5-10 minutes, end the meditation.
Write the details of your meditation down.Record as much as you can about your experience. Did your power animal reveal anything to you? Do you have new insight into yourself or the world around you? Be specific.
- Read the details you’ve written the next day. Think them over and look for instances where the insights might be useful.
- As you continue to meditate with your power animal, consider bringing concerns and problems into the meditation sessions. Use the meditation to relax and leave behind worries.
Discovering Your Power Animal on a Shamanic Journey
Create the right mood.There are several steps you can take to create an environment more amenable to meeting your power animal. Turn off the lights and light some candles. Sit near your altar, if you have one. Drop some essential oils like lavender, juniper, or rosemary onto an atomizer to create a pleasing aroma.
Prepare to enter the spirit world.Announce your intention to head into the spirit realm. Say, “I am going to meet my power animal,” three times. Lie down on your back and close your eyes.
- The concept of power animals or spirit animals is rooted in Native American spiritual ideas and practice.
Listen to the shamanic rhythm.Some people believe listening to a drum can help you enter a spirit realm where you can find your power animal. The rhythm can be played either by a trusted friend or family member, or you can use a prerecorded rhythm.
- Listen closely to a drumbeat between 205 and 22 beats per minute. The rhythm should consist of about 15 minutes of a drumbeat at this pace, then a “callback” rhythm that will awaken you from your trance.
- The callback consists of a brief pause in the regular rhythm, then three or four rapid repetitions of seven drumbeats. Then, the rhythm should accelerate again for one more minute while you return to yourself.
- There are many shamanic ritual drumbeats available on CD or online.
Visualize yourself in a natural setting.As soon as the rhythm starts, visualize yourself in a majestic natural scene. You might imagine yourself on the edge of a cliff in a massive canyon, or it might be you walking in a sunlit forest.
- Pay attention to the details of the scene. Imagine the smell of the pine trees, or how the wind feels on your skin.
- Try to find a path into a deeper part of this imaginary world. You might see a hole, a tunnel, or a door. Use this portal to go deeper on your shamanic journey.
Seek your power animal.Once you’ve passed into the deepest part of your visualization, be on the lookout for your power animal. When you see a creature, ask it directly, “Are you my power animal?” It might nod or answer directly that it is your power animal.
- Do not be alarmed if your power animal speaks to you. In the spirit world, anything can happen.
- If you encounter animals that are not your power animal, do not follow or engage with them.
- Some of the animals in the spirit world might be hostile. Keep away from them.
- Once you’ve discovered your power animal, wait patiently until the callback rhythm begins. At that point, allow yourself to begin focusing on your physical body again to end your shamanic journey.
Identifying Your Power Animal in Other Ways
Let your power animal choose you.If one creature appears again and again to you in your mind’s eye, you’ve discovered your power animal. Alternately, if you see a particular animal regularly in the real world, especially if it seems to be following you, that animal is your power animal.
- Pay attention to your dreams.If you have recurring dreams, visualizations, and imaginative thoughts with a particular animal, that creature is your power animal.
Select your power animal based on what you need.When your situation changes, you might need to summon or identify yourself with a different power animal. For instance, if you want to pursue certain goals, or are trying to be more assertive, you’ll need to call on a strong power animal like a bear.
- It is possible to have more than one power animal.
Strengthening Your Connection With Your Power Animal
Try a power animal invocation.A power animal invocation is a kind of pledge that you will open yourself to the power animal’s energy and guidance. Begin the invocation by calming yourself. Breathe in deeply several times through your nose and out through your mouth. The time it takes you to breathe out should be greater than the time it takes you to breathe in.
- Announce your intention to perform an invocation. Say slowly and deliberately, “I am preparing myself to welcome the positive, golden energy of the…” and then speak the name of your power animal.
- Invite your power animal to come to you. Say, “I know you are powerful. I wish to borrow your strength and power.” Then, describe the powers you expect to receive from the animal. The specific powers will be determined by what your power animal is.
- Become one with the power animal. Say, “I can feel your energy fill me with light.”
- Give thanks to the power animal. Say, “I thank you for sharing your ancient wisdom with me, noble beast.”
Respect your power animal.Show a reverence for the life and home of your power animal. For instance, if your power animal is the monkey, do not engage in behavior that could result in deforestation or the destruction of monkey populations.
- Since your power animal can change, you should do your part to ensure animals are treated well all over the world. Adopt a vegan or vegetarian diet and volunteer with nonprofits that fight for animal rights.
- You can also show respect to your power animal by wearing a shirt or pendant with an image of your power animal. Let the image of the power animal keep you conscious of and open to its guidance.
Listen to your power animal.Some people believe that they receive special messages or information from their power animals. A power animal might send warnings or foreknowledge of a significant event. If you feel drawn to a certain location or compelled to pursue a particular course of action, it could be due to the influence of your power animal. Disobeying or contradicting the guidance your power animal provides could result in a communication disruption between you and your power animal.
Educate yourself about your power animal.Having at least a rudimentary understanding of your power animal’s behavior, habitat, and unique traits could help you develop greater empathy with your power animal. You don’t need to become a biologist, but you should visit your local library and check out a few books about your power animal. Questions you should be able to answer include:
- What does it like to eat?
- What are its mating habits
- Do the male and female of the species look the same?
- Does it have any special calls or make a unique sound?
QuestionIs a power animal the same thing as a spirit animal?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerWhile the two are similar, they are not quite the same. A power animal is an animal with whom the individual has a personal connection, but a spirit animal is an otherworldly guide who can offer love, healing, and support during difficult times.Thanks!
QuestionMy spirit animal is a dog. I've been seeing dogs frequently throughout in my life. Yet, she (my spirit animal) is a breed I've never seen before. Is this normal?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerSpirit animals in the Spirit World are not like animals on Earth. It's normal that these animals are breeds you don't see.Thanks!
QuestionCan my power animal be a raven?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThanks!
QuestionCan my power animal follow me in real life, even if it's invisible? Can I hear its voice and can it help me if I'm having a tough day?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAs stated before, power animals are basically spirits. So, if you believe in spirits, then they could possibly follow and help you.Thanks!
QuestionCan I feel the power animal's presence when my mood changes?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMaybe. If it's a predatory animal, like a wolf or a tiger, then you might be able to feel it when you're angry, for example. It really depends on what the power animal is.Thanks!
QuestionCan my power animal visit me in dreams?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes. It can come to you in different ways.Thanks!
QuestionAre spirits real?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt is completely up to what you believe in. If you believe in them, they can be real!Thanks!
Does your spirit animal have to be like you?
Video: MEET YOUR POWER ANIMAL- Animal Guide With Lilian Eden
Top best health benefits of wheatgrass
Pippa Middleton’s Best Fashion Looks
InStylers BLU Turbo Ionic Dryer will be 40 off
How to Paint Sand Dollars
The MS Jacket That Won An Oscar
How to Avoid Running Into People
How to Remove Paint on Hardwood Floors
Daily Bit of Chocolate in Pregnancy May Help Mom, Baby
How to Change the World As an Individual
Easy Escapes: Four Seasons Resort Seychelles, Seychelles
NY Mag’s Cover Story: Is Terry Richardson an Artist or a SexualPredator
The Story Of Topshop Unique’s AW16 Show, By Numbers