How to make a compartment door?
Watch the video
In the struggle for the extra free space of which only was not invented. One of the most popular ergonomic devices for increasing the space of rooms are compartment doors. Such doors have long been used in various closets and wardrobes, but not everyone knows that it would be a wish to make a sliding door on any doorway. How to make doors coupe with their own hands, and will be discussed in this article.
Tools for work
First of all, let's find out what task we are facing: do we need to redo the existing ordinary door at the door of the compartment or to assemble the door of the compartment from scratch? Depending on which option you choose, the course of work will also change.
To work we need:
- Set of drills;
- Hacksaw or saw;
- Hydraulic level;
- Screwdriver Set;
- Two fiberboard strips;
- Screws and screws;
- Roller system.
Alteration of the old door under the door of the compartment
Instructions for those who want to know how to make the door of the closet compartment and how to make a regular door sliding is not fundamentally different.If you do not plan to purchase a finished sliding door or make a new door yourself, but you want to attach a sliding mechanism to your old door, you will need to do the following steps:
- Purchase a roller system of the type you need in the door shop. There are 2 types of roller structures: suspended and floor (rail). Floor is recommended to use when the weight of a door exceeds 30 kg. We describe the installation process just the floor system.
- First, it is necessary to dismantle the door from its previous location and bring it to the proper form: remove the old door canopies, seal the loopholes, varnish or paint the door if necessary. Make a comfortable handle.
- Attach the lower rollers at a distance of about 6 centimeters from the edge of the door. In general, try to place the rollers at a maximum distance from each other and as close as possible to the edges of the door - so the door will be less loose and will open smoothly.
- By the same principle, mount the upper rollers and install the stoppers that come with the roller mechanism.
- Bring a proper doorway.
- Fit the guides.
- Beat the strips of hardboard above and below your door.
- Install the door to its new location.
Installation and production of a new door
Now we will tell how to make compartment doors, if you plan to throw out the old door and replace it with a new one.
To begin with, we naturally need the new door itself. You can either buy it in a specialized store, or make it yourself. In any case, at first you will have to measure the dimensions of the opening and go with them either to order the right size door or to purchase components for its manufacture.
Installation of the compartment door involves the implementation of the complete strapping of the door with a metal profile:
- Cut a metal profile of the required size using a miter saw or a hacksaw.
- Drill holes in the profile to fasten it to the door.
- Prepare the door, mount the roller system.
- Mount the rails above and below.
- Install the stoppers.
- First set horizontal and then vertical profiles. A special hand profile is used as vertical profiles, which will later be used to open and close the door.
- Twist the entire structure with screws and install the door to its new location.
In some wardrobes, installing one sliding door is not enough. Then you can use two sliding doors at once. The principle of operation will remain the same.
At the door of the coupe very many install mirrors. This is due to the fact that most often these doors are used in hallways and walk-in closets. If you also want to additionally hang a mirror on the door, this must be done in advance, before you begin the installation process. The process itself is easy enough:
- Buy a mirror of the appropriate size or cut it yourself to size with a glass cutter;
- Prepare a self-adhesive film (we recommend using it over the entire area of the back side of the mirror for safety reasons - if the surface is damaged, the fragments will remain glued to the film);
- Gently glue it on the mirror, getting rid of the "bubbles" with a plastic spatula (you can also use a thin needle, but this is not the correct way);
- Install a mirror on the door.
In general, such doors leave plenty of room for imagination with regard to building materials.This is one of their main advantages, along with quiet operation and space saving.