How to Make a Beacon in Minecraft
This wikiHow teaches you how to craft a beacon in Minecraft's survival mode. While not an easy task, crafting a beacon will both make your base visible from virtually anywhere on the map and buff your player character with beneficial effects. You can create a beacon in all versions of Minecraft, including PC, pocket, and console editions.
Crafting the Beacon
Know the layout of a beacon.A beacon is, at minimum, a three-by-three, one-block high square base of at least iron blocks (though gold, diamond, and/or emerald blocks will also do) with a beacon unit placed on top of it. If you want to enhance your beacon's power and range, you'll need an additional square base of five by five, seven by seven, and nine by nine per power level, respectively.
- Creating a beacon can be a tedious process, since you need a bare minimum of 81 iron ingots to craft the base alone.
Gather the necessary materials.To craft a beacon, you will need the following items:
- At least 81 iron ore- Mine a lot of iron ore—which is the grey stone with orange spots—with a stone pickaxe or better. You can use emeralds, gold, or diamonds instead, but these minerals are far rarer than iron and they have no different effect on the beacon.
- Three blocks of obsidian- Obsidian is formed by water hitting lava from above. You can find it deep in caves, or you can . You will need a diamond pickaxe to mine obsidian.
- Five blocks of sand- You'll use this to make glass.
- Nether Star- Kill the Wither and pick up the star that it drops. The Wither is exceedingly difficult to spawn and kill for lower-level players, so make sure you're prepared.
- Fuel- Wood planks or coal will work fine. You'll need this for your furnace when smelting the glass and iron bars.
Smelt your iron ore.Open your furnace, place all 81 iron ore pieces in the top square, and place your fuel source in the bottom square. Once all 81 ores have been created, you can move them back to your inventory.
- In Minecraft PE, tap the top square, tap the iron ore icon, tap the bottom square, and then tap your fuel.
- On consoles, select your iron ore, pressYortriangle, select your fuel, and pressYortriangleagain.
Smelt your glass.Put the sand blocks in the furnace, replenish the fuel if necessary, and then gather the five glass blocks when they're done smelting.
Open your crafting table.Right-click the crafting table (PC), tap the crafting table (PE), or face the crafting table and press the left trigger.
Create iron blocks.Place nine iron bars in each grid square, then click the stack of nine iron blocks and move it to your inventory.
- In Minecraft PE, just tap the grey iron block to select it, then tap1 xon the right side of the screen nine times.
- On consoles, scroll over to the far-right tab, select the magma block, scroll down until you find the iron block, and pressA(Xbox) orX(PlayStation) nine times.
Craft the beacon unit.Re-open the crafting table if necessary, then place one obsidian block in each of the bottom grid squares, place the Nether Star in the center grid square, and place one piece of glass in each remaining empty square. Move the resulting beacon to your inventory when it appears. Now you can create the beacon itself.
- In Minecraft PE, just tap the beacon icon, then tap1 x.
- On consoles, find the beacon tab, select the beacon, and pressAorX.
Building the Beacon Tower
Find a place to put your beacon.You will need a flat spot; ideally, your beacon will be close to your home.
Place the iron blocks on the ground.Place three rows of three blocks to create a three-by-three, nine-block total base.
Place your beacon unit.Select the beacon unit, then select the middle iron block. The beacon should light up almost immediately.
Consider adding more layers to the unit.If you want to increase the beacon's power, you can add a five-by-five, 25-block base directly below the three-by-three one.
- You can add a seven-by-seven, 49-block base below the five-by-five, and you can add a nine-by-nine, 81-block base below the seven by seven.
- Your beacon can't have a base larger than nine blocks by nine blocks.
Changing the Beacon's Effect
Find an effect mineral.To change the beacon's effect, you will need at least one of the following:
- Iron bar
- Gold bar
Select the beacon.Right-click the beacon (or tap it, or press the left trigger on your controller while facing it) to open it.
Select an effect.Select the effect that you want to receive from the beacon. You will have two options:
- Speed- Select the claw icon on the left side of the window. This makes you run faster.
- Haste- Select the pickaxe icon on the left side of the window. This makes you mine faster.
- The more levels your beacon tower has, the more effects you'll be able to equip.
Add an effect mineral.Click and drag a mineral into the empty box at the bottom of the beacon's window.
- On Minecraft PE, tap the mineral in the upper-left side of the screen.
- On consoles, just select the mineral and pressYortriangle.
Select the checkmark.It's the green icon at the bottom of the beacon's window. Doing so will apply your selected effect to the beacon.
QuestionWill this work on the PE version on my phone?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThanks!
QuestionCan I make it with gold, iron, emerald, and diamond?Kait ADrago-artistCommunity AnswerWell, you can build the pyramid under it by different materials. It Can be 9x9 to 7x7 to 5x5 to 3x3. And you put a piece of Diamond or iron ingot piece of emerald or gold ingot and it works.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if it doesn't work?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry again and make sure you've followed the instructions carefully. If it still doesn't work, it's probably a glitch and you may want to consider contacting Mojang (the Minecraft company).Thanks!
QuestionCan I make my beacon 10x10?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can, but it will still be as effective as a smaller beacon.Thanks!
QuestionWhere am I most likely to find a wither to get a nether star?GerbilloverCommunity AnswerYou cannot find withers. Instead, you must spawn them by making a two-block tall T using soul sand (found in the nether) and place 3 wither skeleton skulls (rarely dropped by wither skeletons) on top.Thanks!
QuestionWhat is a seed with random beacons?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerBeacons can't spawn randomly around your world, but you can make a layer of beacons in world creation.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I summon Mobzilla?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerI don't have the mod myself but I know you need to find a Jungle Temple. Inside the Jungle Temple there should be an Ancient Dried Mobzilla spawn egg. If you put this spawn egg in a crafting table slot and put water on top, the Mobzilla spawn egg will be made. BUT DO NOT spawn the Mobzilla unless you have a full set of Ultimate Armour on and you have good potions and the Ultimate weapons.Thanks!
QuestionAre there other ways to use a beacon?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNot really, unless you are trying to find your way homeThanks!
QuestionDo I have to be in survival to operate a beacon?Community AnswerNo, you don't have to be. You can be in adventure or creative too.Thanks!
QuestionDoes a beacon have power?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerA beacon is a strong light source and a source of power to the player. Other than that, no, it does not have any powers.Thanks!
How do I make a beacon in Minecraft PE?
To make a beacon in Minecraft, start by getting 81 iron ore, 3 blocks of obsidian, 5 blocks of sand, a nether star, and fuel. Once you have all your materials, smelt your iron ore using a furnace and your fuel. Then, put your sand in the furnace to create 5 glass blocks. Next, open your crafting table and put 9 iron bars in each square to create 9 iron blocks. Finally, create the beacon unit by placing an obsidian block in each square at the bottom of the grid, the nether star in the center square, and a piece of glass in each remaining square.
- If you don't want to go through the hassle of gathering the beacon's necessary materials, just craft it in creative mode. The beacon itself is pre-assembled, and all you need to do is place it and an iron block in your inventory in order to create the largest beacon you can.
- Falling from more than 23 blocks high will kill you, so don't build your beacon too high up if you don't have an exit plan.
In other languages:
Português: , 中文: , Русский: , Español: , Deutsch: , Italiano: , Nederlands: , Français: , Bahasa Indonesia: , العربية: , ไทย:
Video: How to make a RAINBOW BEACON In Minecraft | Latest Version's (EASY)
Shopping Tips: Buying Previously Worn Clothing
What Is This Pain
Gorgeous DIY Rita Ora’s Shimmering Purple Makeup To Recreate
Working through disagreements as cofounders and co-CEOs
Why Oatmeal is the Best Breakfast You Can Eat
5 Weight loss resolutions you should not make
Sumptuous Style Marc Jacobs 2019
How to Make Sticky Tack
Color Your Hair Younger
Wedding Dress Shopping Tips for Pregnant Brides
Superfoods: Here Are The Ones You Should Be Eating
When’s our turn