How to flash the navigator?
Watch the video
GPS-navigators, like most other modern technical devices, are running special software - the operating system. The most popular software for navigators are operating systems Windows CE and Android. Firmware can be performed both from the navigator itself and from a computer using a USB cable. Next, we will describe how to flash the navigator using both update methods.
The most popular brands of GPS-navigators in Russia are Garmin, Prestigio, Texet, Explay and LEXAND. Regardless of the model used, before proceeding with the firmware of the navigator, you will need to do the following steps:
- Fully charge the navigator battery before flashing, or even better, leave the navigator powered up at the time of flashing. If during the flashing the navigator is turned off, it can lead to irreversible damage to the device.
- The latest version of the firmware navigator for your brand and your model.Attention! We recommend not to use third-party firmware, because in addition to losing warranty, their use may cause serious damage.
- Just in case, backup the device data to the computer.
Firmware via computer
For the firmware, you will need drivers for your navigator on the computer, and also find a USB cable with a micro-USB connector on one side. As a rule, both the driver and the cable come with the navigator. If you do not have them, then you can download the driver from the official website of the manufacturer, and buy the cable in any computer store.
For firmware, follow these steps:
- Install the drivers for your navigator on the computer.
- Format the memory of the navigator.
- Turn off the device. Navigator should not be connected to a computer.
- Open the folder with the firmware on your computer and run the executable file.
- Hold down the power button of the device and after the screen lights up, connect the USB cable to the navigator.
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
- Wait until the download is complete.
- Disconnect the cable from the navigator and turn on the device.
Firmware from the device itself
In this case, you only need an SD card of sufficient size to download the firmware to it.
- Remove the SD card from the navigator and connect it to the computer.
- Transfer the necessary data from the card to the computer, and then format it.
- The FAT system must be selected as the file system.
- Download the firmware to the memory card.
- Insert the card with the firmware into the navigator and reboot the device.
- For some models, no additional action is required - the process of installing updates will begin automatically. For others, you will have to hold down a certain combination of keys, depending on the model you are using and the type of navigator. Read more about this in the manual for your model.
- Until the end of the installation of updates, it is prohibited to restart or turn off the device.
Very often, after changing the firmware, users of GPS-navigators are faced with the problem of incorrect screen calibration. For each model, the calibration process may be slightly different. The main two ways to start the screen calibration:
- Hold for about 30 seconds the top left corner of the navigator, after which the calibration menu should appear.You will see a white screen with a cross. You will need to use the stylus to get to the exact center of the cross several times until the screen has been calibrated. Applying new settings takes about 20 seconds.
- At the same time, hold the power button to the right until it locks and hold your finger in the middle of the screen until the calibration menu appears. Next you will need to act as described above.