How to Find the Digital Mode of PSK31 on the Amateur Radio Bands
Know what it is.PSK 31 stands for phase shift keying. The 31 is the bandwidth in Hertz (31.25 Hz to be precise) of the transmitted signal. The mode can be found on all amateur bands but the most popular seems to be on 20 metres at 14.070 Megahertz. An appealing aspect is that high power is not needed or encouraged. The author uses 40 Watts and a dipole antenna. Here is what is needed to start a digital station:
- An amateur radio capable of all bands.
Have a desktop or laptop computer with at least a 400 MHz Pentium II processor, 256 Megabytes of ram and a sound card.The sound card is probably the most important part because the software you will be using uses the computer's sound card to transmit the necessary tones to send and receive PSK 31 messages.
Find PSK 31 software.There are many freeware programs on the internet. The most popular are DigiPan 2.1; and HamScope. There are payware programs with more modes and features for very little money. For example, there is MixW 2.19 and other software.
Here are some popular digital frequencies:
- 10 metres 28.070-28.130 MHz
- 12 metres 24.920-24.930 MHz
- 15 metres 21.060-21.099 MHz
- 17 metres 18.100-18.110 MHz
- 20 metres 14.060-14.099 MHz (very active)
- 30 metres 10.120-10.150 MHz
- 40 metres 7.060-7.099 MHz
- 80 metres 3.580-3.640 MHz
I can see you promote safety
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- Adjust the computer's sound card so it does not over-drive your signal into the radio. You want a clean signal so that you won't splatter or have a wider signal than is necessary.
- An excellent reference is ARRL's HF Digital Handbook by Steve Ford, WB8IMY. The price is .95 from the ARRL.
- This mode combines the best of CW with RTTY (radio teletype) and if you are a typist, keeps up your typing speed!
Video: FT-8, The New HF/6m Digital Mode, Introduction For Beginners
New Data Confirm Fat Belt
Does Money Matter In A Relationship
How to Build a Bean Bag Game
How Spending Just One Extra Minute On Your Phone Before Bed Can Rob You Of 60 Minutes Of Sleep
China has repeatedly denied operating re-education camps, but acknowledged that it had resettlement programs for people it considered terrorists
5 Quinoa Benefits and Recipes You’ll Love
How to Treat a Headache with an Essential Oils Roller Ball
34 Choppy Layered Hairstyles Anyone Can Pull Off
Ed Jenkins Talks Rugby, Modelling Defying Time In Sport
Warm Kale Salad
Kim Kardashian Just Defended Straightening Her Daughter Norths Hair... Again
Sample Star Spangled Banner Tabs and Chords
3 New Anti-Aging Treatments You Really Oughta Know About
Date: 03.12.2018, 11:19 / Views: 32144