How to create a layer?
Watch the video
Before you create a layer in Photoshop, you need to understand the definition of the “layer” itself. A layer is a separate image that can be edited without affecting other elements of the image. A photo may consist of several layers, each of which can be viewed separately.
In order to create a layer, you can use any of the following methods:
- In the main menu, select the tab "Layer" - "New" - "Layer". In the window for creating a new layer that appears in Photoshop, you can optionally specify the name of the layer, its color, mode, and transparency.
- On the working window of the program there should be a window for working with layers, if there is none, then the call is made by pressing the F7 key. In this window, click on the small arrow, it is located at the end of the bookmarks. A menu will appear, select “New” in it. A window will appear through which you can create a new layer.
- In the bottom panel of the window with layers there is an icon responsible for creating a new layer. Clicking on it, a new layer will appear.We draw your attention to the fact that the window with the layer parameters will not appear. You can change the name of a layer by double-clicking on the word “Layer 1”.
- A new layer is created by pressing the key combination Shift + Ctrl + N.
Work with layers
In the work window with layers, the new layer is displayed as a small chess. This means that the layer is transparent. An icon next to the eye indicates that the layer is visible, and an icon with a brush indicates that the layer is active. Moving layers is done with the mouse.
One of the most important tools in Photoshop is the layer mask. It is designed to mask the image or part of it, as well as to limit the scope of any other tool. This is achieved due to the fact that the mask is a pattern, the color of which varies from white to black. At the same time, white color manifests, black - masks, gray - is used to create different degrees of transparency. The mask can be applied to any type of layer and to a group of layers. It is possible to perform various manipulations on the mask, without fear for the image itself.
To create a layer mask in Photoshop, select one of the options:
- Click on the “Add layer mask” icon in the layer window.
- You can create a layer mask in the following way: go to the “Layers panel” go to the “Layer” tab, then “Layer-mask”, select one of the suggested mask options.
A number of tools and filters can be applied to the layer mask. The most commonly used are the following: brush, gradient, text, shape, selection, filter. You can use only white, black and all shades of gray colors.