How to connect the water heater?
Watch the video
The presence of hot water in the house is not just a convenience, but a necessity, without which it is difficult for a person to meet basic household needs. But as is often the case, hot water in apartments is periodically turned off, and in private houses that are not connected to the common water supply system, it is completely absent. The way out of this situation is the installation of a water heater. The article How to install a water heater will tell you about this stage of work, and we will talk about how to connect it to the water supply system and the electricity network.
When connecting the water heater to the water supply system, turn off the water supply to the apartment or house. Next, go directly to the works themselves. We will connect the mounted storage water heater.
- We check that the drain hole at the water heater attached to the wall is on the bottom.
- Next, install a safety valve. It is a special device that will protect the tank from increasing the pressure in it. The valve will operate when the nominal value of 0.6 MPa is exceeded.Its opening must remain open all the time, this will prevent the boiler tank from bursting. A standard valve comes in a set with a water heater, but it can also be purchased separately, since the one included in the kit often does not cope with its task. It consists of several parts: the valve itself, the sanitary tee, the check valve (it is necessary that the hot and cold water do not mix with each other), an “American” coupling.
- We carry out the removal of excess hot water into the sewer. For this purpose, we use pipes or compression hoses, conventional gardening is not recommended. We use a special sealant to seal the joints and leave them to dry for 5-8 hours. In order for everything to dry as well as possible and “grab”, the water must be turned off beforehand and all parts must be completely dry.
- The next step is to connect the cold water. We use pipes from polypropylene or metal-plastic. Install the ball valve at the entrance to the water supply system and connect it to the water heater with a pipe. The place of connection of the hose and the water inlet opening is coated with sealant. You can use FUM tape.
- Now we are discharging hot water to the destination. The pipe is connected to the outlet of the heater. In place of branching set tee. So we can provide water to the bathroom and to the kitchen. We connect pipes with cranes with connecting hoses.
- This connection of the water heater to the water supply system can be considered complete. It remains only to check the tightness of all connections and turn on the water supply.
To connect the water heater to the mains, we need the following tools:
- Knife (they will clean the wires).
- A simple pencil (you can marker).
- Socket and plug (if not included).
- Insulation tape.
- Wire (three-core).
- Automatic switch paired (double).
All tools for working with electrical devices must be equipped with handles with insulating protection.
- Connect the thermostat to the power supply will be using three-core insulated copper wire. The third lived we will need forgrounding.Select the cable cross-section necessary in accordance with the capacity of the heater. So, for a 1.5 kW boiler, you will need a cable with a cross section of 1.5-2.5 mm2.
- The socket should also be taken not ordinary, but a three-pole, moisture-proof and dust-proof. For thermostats with a power less than one and a half kilowatts, an outlet designed for a current of 10 A is sufficient. For more powerful water heaters, from 1.5 to 4 kW, an outlet and, if necessary, a plug, should be chosen based on 16 A.
- Preparing everything you need, turn off the electricity. The house or apartment must be completely de-energized.
- You can lay a separate line from the thermostat to the meter, or connect to the network in the nearest junction box. To notto spoil the wall decoration, you can use special boxes that allow you to hide the wire inside you, or you can gently run the cable along the baseboard or under the ceiling (in this case, you need to calculate its length in advance).
- We carry out installation of the outlet in a convenient location.
- Install the machine. Place for its placement can serve as a shield or wall. If we choose the last option, we use the protective case (box) for the machine.
- Connect the ground wire. This can be done in the panel, if there is a grounding bus. This measure will extend the service life of the heater, because static electricity in combination with water accelerates metal corrosion.
With proper installation and connection, the water heater will work without failures and provide you with hot water in continuous mode. From time to time he needs to carry out a routine inspection and cleaning.