How does a cat pregnancy?
If you are a happy cat owner, sooner or later you will have to think about her offspring. Sexual maturity occurs in an animal at the age of 7-9 months, and at this moment the owners, who do not plan to breed kittens, go, as a rule, with a pet to the veterinarian and carry out sterilization.
And those who want except for a big fluffy pet to have a few little mewing balls of happiness, it is worth to learn about how the pregnancy is going on, and what is required at this time from the owner.
How to determine?
Despite the fact that puberty in puberty comes early, which can be evidenced by changes in behavior (the pet constantly rubs everything, mourns meekly, actively asks for affection), it is not recommended to carry out mating at this age. The reason for this - the possible serious violations of the reproductive system and the threat to health. The optimal period for the first pairing is 1-1.3 years.
But the fact that mating has occurred, still does not speak about the onset of pregnancy.More precisely about this can be said after 2-3 weeks. You can confirm this by a veterinarian after an ultrasound or some objective signs.
- During 3 weeks of pregnancy, the nipples of the cat acquire a pronounced pink color. This is especially noticeable if the cat is pregnant with offspring for the first time.
- In animals, as in humans, hormonal changes change, which is why vomiting can occur in the morning. This lasts only a few days, after which the pet will begin to eat and sleep more than usual.
- At week 5 you will already be able to notice that she has significantly gained weight.
- If before this your pet loved to take a long walk on the street for a long time, then during pregnancy it usually turns into a homebody.
- At week 6, it becomes apparent that the nipples are actively increasing in size. This happens because the milk starts to arrive.
Terms of pregnancy
How many will have to wait until the birth of a cat to the world? Pregnancy of the animal lasts approximately 9 weeks (65 days). If offspring is planned numerous, then most likely the process will be slightly reduced. But it is necessary to be careful, childbirth up to 60 days and after 70 days are considered dangerous, and in this case it is better to contact a veterinarian.
In the period when your pet is waiting for replenishment, it is worthwhile to carefully approach the issue of care.
- It is better if she holds the pregnancy at home. So you protect her from double pregnancy, because even during this period, estrus continues. In addition, you can always monitor the status and notice the beginning of labor.
- Do not give any medication. This even applies to anthelmintic drugs and flea medications. In case of emergency, only a veterinarian takes a decision on prescribing.
- Take care of a convenient place for childbirth. For these purposes, a box in which newspapers or disposable baby diapers can be put in several layers is well suited.
- Closer to 7-9 weeks it is worth limiting the cat to move at height.
- A week before the expected birth is better to consult a veterinarian.
What to feed?
This item is particularly important. The nutrition of the future mother should be varied and useful. If before you fed the pet with dry food, then you need to choose a special food for pregnant cats.
Animals that ate regular food should add vitamins and minerals to their diet, but only after consulting a veterinarian.
In the first two weeks, the cat should be fed twice a day in normal portions. From the third week on, one more feed is added. For a period of five weeks, the active growth of babies in the womb of the mother begins, and a “brutal” appetite awakens in the cat. But do not give her the opportunity to eat at once a double portion. It is better to feed 4-5 times, but small, little by little.
With natural feeding you need to increase the amount of dairy products and slightly reduce the portions of meat consumed.
Despite the fact that the duration of pregnancy in a cat is not very high, there are sometimes cases of complications. Call the vet immediately if you notice that:
- the animal does not eat more than a day;
- drinks a lot, lies, breathing hard;
- the cat often licks and you notice the appearance of any kind and color of discharge;
- The temperature has risen above 39 degrees.
Preparing for childbirth
Beginning at week 7, the pet can begin to look for a safe place for future births, so that it is not a surprise for you, it is better to take care of a cozy nest made out of the box.
Show the cat several times that it is comfortable and warm there, and soon she will get used to it.
3-4 days before the birth, your pet's temperature may drop to 37.5 degrees, at this stage it is considered the norm. It is possible to reduce the animal to a veterinarian who, using an ultrasound machine, will determine the number of fruits and their condition.
This way, you will know if you can deliver the baby yourself, or you need qualified specialist help.
The animal also at this time becomes very affectionate, and constantly tries to be among people. Pay attention to these signs, because they say that within the next 24 hours you will witness the birth of babies.
The appearance of small, still completely defenseless kittens is one of the most touching events. But remember that by taking responsibility for these little lumps, you must provide them with proper care and pay maximum attention until they get stronger.