Cooking a delicious goose correctly
Fowl is healthy and tasty. We are all used to chicken, but sometimes you can forget about habits, it will help to learn and try something new. For example, you can buy a goose. And how to cook it properly?
Choosing the right goose
The first thing you need to buy a goose. How to choose it? What should I look for?
- If you decide to buy a goose in the market, then be more careful, since not all sellers are conscientious, some give out wishful thinking. The optimal weight of the carcass is about 3.5-5 kilograms, this is the mass of birds of the species that are bred by local farmers. But if the goose weighs more than 6-7 kilograms, it is worth considering that it could "stuff" chemicals.
- Delicious and tender meat from the young goose aged 7 to 9 months. Ask about this from the seller. But to check the age of the bird will help and a simple inspection. So, the skin of a young goose should be dense and have a light yellowish tint. If it is dark and flabby, then surely the bird was old (with its weight will be more by 1.5-2 kilograms).
- If possible, inspect the poultry meat. It should be light brown.And closer to the bones, it becomes reddish. If the fillet has a yellow or other unnatural color, it is not necessary to talk about freshness and quality. After pressing on the meat with a finger, the fossa should quickly disappear.
- Inspect the places under the wings, on the folds. If in these areas the surface is sticky, then this indicates that the product is not fresh.
- If you do not plan to cook goose immediately, then go to the supermarket and buy a frozen carcass. By the way, its size may differ from market samples, as farmers supplying products to stores breed different breeds.
- Smell the bird. Fresh meat must smell like meat. After freezing, the smell usually does not become so obvious, but in any case it should not be unpleasant, putrid and musty.
- If you decide to purchase an undivided goose carcass, then pay attention to all the details. Beak should be smooth, glossy. Eyes usually protruding. If the beak is pale, unnaturally bent, and the eyes are sunken, then, probably, the bird died from some kind of disease.
How to prepare?
Traditionally, the goose was baked entirely. Yes, it is very convenient. And how to prepare the carcass?
First, wash it well, then dry it.
- Excess fat can be removed if you do not want the dish turned out to be not so fatty and heavy.
- Sometimes the fillet of this bird is hard. Want to make it softer? Then for a day or two, put the goose in the fridge. After lying there, it will become softer.
- You can marinate meat. To do this, use different marinades, you can use any recipe. And the easiest option is to rub the carcass with salt and pepper and leave for a day. But it all depends on what you decided to cook with a goose.
If you want to ease the task of consumers, it is best to carve a carcass before cooking. How to do it right?
To separate the legs, you need to put the carcass on a cutting board so that the breast is at the top. Now pull the leg, and then make a deep incision between the thigh and the carcass itself. After that, turn the thigh so that the joint is visible. Make an incision between the joint and the thigh, pull the leg, it should separate.
To cut off the wing, it is better to first press it against the carcass to see the end of the bird’s shoulder joint. Make an incision between the ends of the joints. Then pull the wing, cut it. Do the same with the second one.
To cut the carcass, place the blade of the knife inside it between the chest and shoulder joint. Move the knife to yourself (the carcass should be head-up) to the very bottom, then separate the thoracic part. Do the same on the other side.
Now you can separate the breast. Pull the fillet breast upwards. You should see the humerus. Cut the meat between these bones, pull back and separate the breast.
The back part can be cut in half, as well as the breast. Done, the goose is cut. Now the meat can be cut into pieces, if you plan to add it, for example, to stew or soup.
What to cook from a goose?
How to cook a goose delicious? There is a great variety of options. You can make a tasty dish in a slow cooker. Some stew goose with different vegetables. We offer you a few recipes.
Baked goose with fruit filling
To prepare a tasty and juicy goose in the oven with apples, oranges and prunes, prepare the following ingredients:
- 1 goose carcass;
- 2 apples;
- 50 grams of prunes;
- 50 grams of nuts (walnuts or cashews);
- 1 orange;
- 4 cloves of garlic;
- salt, paprika, pepper to taste;
- First rinse the goose thoroughly with warm water and then dry. If you need to do everything faster, wipe the carcass with a towel. If the carcass with the head, then cut it. Offal need to be removed by making a hole in the lower part of the body (under the tail). Through it, the filling will be placed inside.
- Mix the paprika, pepper and salt. Rub the goose inside and out with this mixture.
- Chop the garlic with a garlic press or a blender. Rub the carcass from all sides.
- Now prepare the stuffing. To do this, peel and slice the apples. Oranges also need to peel and cut. Prunes and nuts rinse well (prunes can be doused with boiling water to make it softer). Mix it all up.
- Now put the stuffing inside the goose, tamp.
- Sprinkle the goose with vegetable oil and place it on the bottom of the pan or baking dish, pre-covering it with foil (it should also be oiled). To remove excess fat and juiciness of meat, make a few punctures with a fork in the carcass. Cover the top of the goose completely with foil.
- The oven should be heated to 180 degrees. Place a baking sheet in it.Bake the goose for 2 or 3 hours (the exact time depends on the size of the carcass). Every 20-30 minutes, take out the goose and water it with fat, which will stand out in the cooking process.
- Half an hour before the end of the roasting process, remove the foil, pour the goose with orange juice mixed with fat, and brown it.
Goose with potatoes
You can cook a goose with potatoes in the sleeve. Here is a list of ingredients:
- goose carcass;
- 5-7 potatoes;
- 2 onions;
- 3 cloves of garlic;
- 1 carrot;
- salt and pepper to taste.
How to cook?
- Goose wash, dry, remove excess fat. Rub the carcass outside and inside with pepper and salt, sprinkle with lemon juice and leave to marinate for an hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Peel the potatoes, cut into slices, peel and cut the onion into half rings, cut the carrots into cubes.
- Chop garlic. An hour later (after marinating), rub them with a goose (both inside and outside).
- Mix the potatoes with carrots and onions, as well as with the removed and chopped fat. Add salt and spices. Place the filling inside the goose, wrap the carcass with foil and place on a baking tray.
- Bake the goose for at least two hours, occasionally sprinkling it with fat.
- 15-30 minutes before readiness, turn the carcass around so that it will brown and cover with a delicious crust.